Recipe from the book :
Mushroom risotto is a vegetarian classic that can be quite stodgy. Using brown rice instead of starchier risotto rice gives a lighter, coarser texture. Brown rice also makes this risotto a rich source of B vitamins, which are involved in converting food energy. We’ve packed this recipe full of mushrooms, using a mixture of closed cup and wild to give a deep, nutty mushroom flavor.
1.2 liters vegetable stock
1 tsp oil
300g button or chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
100g fresh wild mushrooms, finely sliced
3 shallots, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
150g brown rice
A pinch of salt
A handful of fresh-flat parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp truffle oil
1. Pour the stock into a large pan and bring to the boil on a high heat. Reduce the heat to low so the stock in just simmering.
2. Set a large non-stick frying pan on high heat, add the oil and then add the mushroom. Cook for 5 minutes until browned. Add the shallots and then cook for 5 mins until soft, then add garlic and rosemary spring. Turn the heat to medium and cook for further 3 mins.
3. Add the brown rice and salt and mix well. Now start adding the hot stock, one ladleful at a time. Once each addition has been absorbed, add another ladleful. Keep stirring as the risotto bubbles. It should take about 20 mins to add the stock and cook the rice until tender.
4. Mix through the parsley and serve immediately, with a few drops of truffle oil on top.
- You can use your own version of vegetable stock or make using the book.
- You can add more veggies of your choice.
- It takes time to develop the taste of brown rice, I already have developed it, hence I really liked it.
- Vegetable stock can be replaced by white sauce for a sinful guest dinner (just saying!)
- You can add chopped green chilly to add the pop.
- I am definitely going to try this with coconut milk.
Read more about 7 Days with The Detox Kitchen Bible HERE.
Detox Bible – Day 1 – Cucumber, Mint & Yogurt Dip
Detox Bible – Day 2 – Spicy Nuts
Detox Bible – Day 3 – Mango Yogurt with Dried Apricots & Banana
Detox Bible – Day 4 – Ginger, lemongrass & clove Tea
Detox Bible – Day 5- Broccoli & Ginger Soup
Detox Bible – Day 6 – Brown rice & Mushroom risotto
Detox Bible – Day 7 – Mango & Raspberry Sorbet